Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Adding Facebook and Twitter Buttons to your blog

Now that your blog is up and running, you'll want your friends to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter. These buttons are easily added and best located in a sidebar.

For Facebook:
Sign in to Facebook, then click here: Facebook Badges
Click on Profile Badges



Click Edit this Badge (far right)
Choose the orientation (I suggest Vertical so it will easily fit your sidebar)
Then choose what information you'd like to show with your profile badge, then click Save.

Now click the Blogger button. (The menu may look slightly different due to constant changes with Blogger and Facebook)
In the Select a Blog box, you should see your blog title. If you have multiple blogs, choose the one you want.

The Title defaults to "Facebook Badge" but you can change it to anything, such as "Find me on Facebook" or you can leave it blank. It's self-explanatory.

Click the blue Add Widget button. (btw the terms widget and gadget are used interchangeably) Remember that all gadgets are added to the top of your sidebar, so click and drag it to wherever you like. (I prefer midway down the page)

Preview the page and reposition until it's in the right spot. Go to the top of the page and click the orange Save Arrangement button!

The procedure for Twitter is easier,
Click Add a Gadget
Click Featured Gadgets

Click Twitter Updates (The menu looks slightly different, due to changes with Blogger and Twitter)

Leave the height set to 200.
Enter your Twitter username.
Enter the number of tweets you want displayed.
Click the box to Display link to your Twitter page. If someone clicks on that line, your Twitter profile page will open.
Click the orange Save button.

Remember that all gadgets are added to the top of your sidebar, so click and drag it to wherever you like. Go to the top of the page and click the orange Save Arrangement button.

Experiment with gadget placement, and play around until you get the look you want.

Next week, sending your blog posts to your Facebook wall with Networked Blogs.

I appreciate your comments and feedback - please leave yours below!

5 comments:

  1. I did it!!! You're the BEST Blogmama!!! Check and see if I did it to your liking. :) Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Look at you - I'm so proud!! Your site is looking great and I loved the interview with Vonda!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I got my Facebook gadget on my blog. However, for the life of me, I couldn't drag it to go below my picture on the right that says, "View profile," below it. That is where I want it to go. For now, it is at the very top. How come?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I figured it out. For the non-techie person like me, you might want to say that what gets dragged is not the picture/badge on the blog page readers can see. I went back and realized that what I drag is the WORDS that say, "Facebook gadget." Please go take a look at my blog now. Thank you so much for your faithfulness in helping the non-techie like me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Yvonne -- I'm so excited to watch your blog develop!

    Next week - Networked Blogs. Your blog posts will go directly to your Facebook wall! Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!